Summary from Vendor LabArchives is a secure and intuitive cloud-based electronic lab notebook application enabling researchers to easily create, store, share and manage their research data. Far more than an “ELN”, LabArchives provides a flexible, extensible platform that can be easily customized to match your lab's workflow providing benefits to Principal Investigators, lab managers & staff, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students.
Compare LabArchives to other options in the Electronic Lab Notebook Matrix.
Please contact us if you have any questions or suggestions about the content of this page. Last updated: 2018-02-15
Please Note: This information has been verified by a vendor representative.
Features & Specifications
Search functions can search across file formats and beyond typos
- Able to search for documents within the platform
- Able to search beyond file formats
- Able to search beyond typographical errors
- Transparency of file structure
Ability to manipulate files and images
- Can manipulate all formats
Support for multiple open windows
Ability to link out
Support for Researcher DocumentationDocumentation and metadata creation
Metadata Creation Prompts
Rights Management (Licensing)
- Yes. You may store, transmit or publish content created by you using the Service (which you, or your institution or employer, may own, depending on the agreement you have with your institution or employer).
- LabArchives will never share or publish your data.
Adaptability to Lab WorkflowsPlatform compatibility
Internal Data Sharing
Adaptable to a Variety of Workflows
Compatibility with authoring tools
StorageAvailable data storage options
Hybrid (cloud/local) Storage
- Tracking, backup, and storage versioning. Every action in LabArchives is date and time stamped with the National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST) globally recognized stamp.
- All versions are recorded in a complete audit trail, also collecting IP address, user, nature of action, NIST date and timestamp, versioning, and option to revert to an earlier version.
Creates stable URLs or persistent identifiers for entries
Can unregistered users access the data found at persistent links?
Storage Capacity - Users
- 25 MB/user (Free Edition)
- 100 GB/user (Professional Edition)
- Unlimited (Enterprise Licensing)
Storage Capacity - Max File Size
- 250 MB (Free Edition & Professional Edition)
- 4 GB (Enterprise License)
Hybrid (combination of cloud and local)
SupportTraining and maintenance offered
- Administrator, user, and in-person training available
- FAQs, support forum, video tutorials, instructions, troubleshooting, "quick-start" instructions
Data Migration from Other Systems (incoming migration)
Compatibility with data repositories
Exit Strategies (outgoing migration)
- Individual notebook backups in multiple formats.
- Site-wide enterprise backups of all notebooks at once with transfer to an institutional repository or other location.
- Several recovery options are available. A disaster recovery plan is in place.
Single Sign-On (Institutional ID)
Number of Installations per institution
- No limit
Multiple client use
Number of registered Harvard/HMS users
- 96 user accounts with HMS email addresses.
- 10,408 user accounts with email addresses affiliated with any of the hospitals/institutions in the wider Harvard community
Other higher-education users
- LabArchives is used at many big-name academic research labs
SecurityCompliance with Harvard security
- No information provided on Harvard Security Levels
- Bank level security with numerous additional security measures, certifications and compliance standards met.
Open Science/Open Data Efforts
- LabArchives links to open repositories and has plans for direct published integration with Dataverse.
- Allows users the ability to create DOIs. Allows users to make research public.
- Compliant with NIH/NSF grant-funding agency requirements for electronic records and sharing.
- All contents (single entries, pages, folders, entire notebooks) have their own unique, indexed link that can be shared and published as needed.
Cost (per seat)
- $124/user per year for the Professional Academic & Non-profit plans
- Import and access digital experimental data captured from original lab machines.
- Upload images and videos directly to the notebook.
- Import Office documents, CSV files, and attachments directly from your computer.
- API available to easily work with other platforms and programs from which to migrate data.
- GraphPad Prism, Single sign-on via Shibboleth, and further integrations can be customized using an API.
Tiers of ServiceFeatures and costs associated
- Cost: $0
- Create and manage notebooks
- Unlimited notebooks
- 25 MB storage
Professional Edition Academic and Non-profit
- Cost: $124 per user per year and $0.99/GB for additional storage
- Create and manage notebooks
- Unlimited notebooks
- 100 GB per user
- Guests (unpaid subscribers) can read entries for an unlimited period and can have write access for 60 days
- Cost: Quoted on institution-wide basis
- Customization available