Summary from Vendor: ResearchSpace (RSpace) has been developed in close consultation with researchers and IT and research data professionals at leading global research institutions. This ELN connects to external data sources, other research tools, and data repositories to meet researcher needs.
Compare RSpace to other options in the Electronic Lab Notebook Matrix.
Please contact us if you have any questions or suggestions about the content of this page. Last updated: 2018-04-06
Please Note: This information has been verified by a vendor representative
Features & Specifications
Search functions can search across file formats and beyond typos
- Able to search for documents within the platform
- Able to search beyond file formats
- Able to search beyond typographical errors
- Transparency of file structure
Ability to manipulate files and images
- Can manipulate text documents and spreadsheets, and can manipulate some elements of images and other data sets.
Support for multiple open windows
Ability to link out
Support for Researcher DocumentationDocumentation and metadata creation
Metadata Creation Prompts
Rights Management (Licensing)
Adaptability to Lab WorkflowsPlatform compatibility
Internal Data Sharing
Adaptable to a Variety of Workflows
- RSpace's flexible architecture adapts readily to a variety of workflows, e.g. in the ability to use Notebooks and/or documents as vehicles for creating and managing content. In addition, RSpace enables users to create and share forms (structured documents) with a wide variety of field types (string, number, date, etc.) to capture specific workflows used in protocols, experiments and lab procedures. The ability to import Word docs and automatically transform them into RSpace docs maintaining the formatting makes it easy to get started quickly in RSpace with pre-existing workflows.
Compatibility with authoring tools
StorageAvailable data storage options
Hybrid (cloud/local) Storage
- Provides full audit trail tracking all changes in data; Supports digital signatures and witnessing; Research is recorded in compliance with 21 CFR 11.
- Achieved through versioning
Creates stable URLs or persistent identifiers for entries
Can unregistered users access the data found at persistent links?
Storage Capacity - Users
- No limit
Storage Capacity - Max File Size
- No limit
Hybrid (combination of cloud and local)
SupportTraining and maintenance offered
- Administrator, user, in-person, chat, phone, email, customized training sessions.
- FAQs, video tutorials, instructions, troubleshooting information, "quick-start" instructions, other.
Data Migration from Other Systems (incoming migration)
- Yes; from Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, Egnyte, Orchid, Slack, MS Teams, Mendeley, eCAT, protocols.io; also from integrations with Cyverse, Starfish, and Office 365 (and additional options with API).
Compatibility with data repositories
- Yes; Figshare, Dataverse, GitHub, DSpace, protocols.io and more.
Exit Strategies (outgoing migration)
- Easy, flexible export to MS Word, PDF, HTML, compact XML
- Deleted files can be located and restored at any time (follows 21 CFR requirements)
Single Sign-on (Institutional ID)
Number of Installations per institution
- No limit
Multiple client use
Number of registered Harvard/HMS users
- No data available; there has been senior-level interest from the Harvard School of Dental Medicine, and labs at MGH and BCH are actively using RSpace.
Other higher-education users
- Baylor College of Medicine, University of Edinburgh, University of Goettingen, University of Cambridge, University of Geneva, University of Oxford, and the Medical Center of the University of Freiburg.
SecurityCompliance with Harvard security
- Up to and including Level 3
Open Science/Open Data Efforts
- API is open source; RSpace links to open data repositories
Cost (per seat)
- There is a free Community version (free for individuals and groups and free data storage) with full functionality. The cost per seat for academic use of the Enterprise version is $100/user/year.
- Drag and drop addition of any file or digital object in any format.
- Supports versioning of imported files.
- Full featured text editor with support for images, tables, latex editor, code snippets, calculations and links to internal and external data.
- Support for copy and paste of text, images, MS office content, tabular data and HTML.
- Support for inline, round-trip editing of MS Word, txt and .rtf file content.
- Batch Import of data from external systems using advanced public API.
- API supports categorical data entry into specific fields within customizable page templates
- Microsoft Teams, Slack, DSpace, Dataverse, figshare, Dropbox, Egnyte, Box, OneDrive, Google Drive, Google Hangouts chat, Mendeley, Orcid, TetraScience, Office 365,PubMed, EndNote, Web of Science, Protocols.io
Tiers of ServiceFeatures and costs associated
- Cost: $0
- Unlimited storage
- Cloud hosting
- In-browser viewing and editing of files
- Create lab groups and assign user roles
- App integration
RSpace Enterprise for Academic Use
- Cost: $100 per user per year
- Has same features as RSpace Community
- Has added hierarchical admin features
- Has the ability to set up connections with institutional, core, and lab file stores, which enable discovery of and linking to data on files in those stores from RSpace
RSpace Enterprise for Industry Use
- Cost: $200 per user per year
- Has same features as RSpace Enterprise for Academic use