What is the Data Lifecycle
Data lifecycles help determine your steps and tasks at every step of the research project.
- Initial production of raw data and initial short-term storage
- Analysis of raw data, generating analyzed data
- Publication and distribution of data, including providing access to datasets e.g. through a public data repository
- Evaluation of which data should be retained long-term
- Long-term storage of data to meet requirements of NIH, other granting agencies, and the researcher's institution
- Archiving data as part of an historical record
- Discovery, citation, and reuse of data through well organized, well documented datasets
Data Lifecycle Checklist
The Research Data Management Lifecycle Checklist serves as a reference document to keep track of the elements that make up good research data management in the RDM lifecycle. The RDM lifecycle is not linear and you may find yourself jumping around this lifecycle throughout your project. You may also enter a project at different stages along the lifecycle. Use the checklist as a guide to find where you are in the lifecycle and a reference checklist to keep track of good research data management elements.