Vivli is an independent, non-profit organization that has developed a global data-sharing and analytics platform. Their focus is on sharing individual participant-level data from completed clinical trials to serve the international research community. Users can search listed studies, request data sets from data contributors, aggregate data, or share data of their own. Harvard is a member institution, which provides additional benefits to those that want and need to share clinical trial data.
View a recent introduction to the platform by Ida Sim, Vivli: A Global Clinical Trial Data Sharing Platform
Compare Vivli to other options in the Repository Matrix.
Please contact us if you have any questions or suggestions about the content of this page. Last updated: 2020-03-10
Features & Specifications
Data Size and Format
File Size Limit: Each data contribution is reviewed by Vivli
Dataset Size Limit: Each data contribution is reviewed by Vivl
Data Types and Formats Hosted: Data sets are not required to be standardized; however, we highly recommend that data sets be made available in CDISC SDTM (Standard Data Tabulation Model) format to support the most efficient data aggregation, re-use, and sharing. In the future, Vivli will explore the use of Common Data Elements within specific clinical domains.
Waiver: All data contributors must sign and conform to the Data Contributor Agreement (available upon request), which includes language about intellectual property.
Data Attribution and Citation Tools
Completed research results will be assigned a DOI
User Access Controls
Option to Share: Datasets contributed to Vivli may be made available via various levels of access – through download (after signing of a Data Use Agreement). Alternatively, data contributors may opt for their data to be made available via a secure access environment only. Additionally, data contributors may opt for data requests to be reviewed by an independent review panel through a partnership with the Wellcome Trust.
Data Access Tools
- The Vivli platform allows users to search through listed studies using three search methods, including a Keyword Search, PICO Search, and Quick Study Look-up.
- You can combine these tools to find those studies most relevant to your research question.
- Use the Advanced Search tool to refine your search results.
Download: To request data, a researcher or team must first create an account on Vivli and submit a research proposal.
Proprietary File Format Access: Yes, through Vivli’s secure research environment.
Data Analysis: Use robust analytical tools to combine and analyze multiple datasets. Vivli’s secure research environment is a virtual work-space within the Vivli platform where researchers who have been provided access to data, will have remote desktop access to conduct their analysis. Researchers will have access to SAS, STATA, R, Python, Jupyter, and the Microsoft Office suite to enable analysis of shared data sets. If desired, additional analytical tools, data and scripts may be included in a research team’s secure research environment.
- Sharing de-identified data covered by membership in Vivli.
- Study ready for sharing and needs storage -- $2,000
- Study ready for sharing and needs & Storage and Independent Review Panel -- $4,500
- Anonymization -- Provided by Privacy Analytics (additional $2,000-$5000 / dataset)
- Yearly metrics on number of data requests, resulting publications, etc.
- Open search for trials from any disease, country, sponsor, funding agency, or investigator.
- Specifically for sharing Clinical Trails conducted by Harvard University users